The Honiton lace jabot and cuffs have been returned to Honiton Museum until such time as a future Speaker of the House of Commons chooses to wear them as part of the ceremonial regalia. Designed by the Honiton artist Tom Griffiths the lace was first worn by Mr Bernard Weatherill.
The earliest written evidence of lace making in Honiton can be seen here. It is a brass plaque from James Rodge's tomb is. It reads: 'Here lieth ye body of James Rodge of Honinton in ye county of Devonshire (Bonelace siller hath given unto the poore of Honinton pishe the benefit of 100L for ever) who deceased ye 27 of July AD1617 Remember the poore.' In 2005 the Trustees of Allhallows Museum commissioned a replica plaque made of slate to be placed on the Rodge tomb at St Michaels Churchyard and the original is now safe.
This lace flounce is attributed to Emma Radford of Sidmouth.
Esme Nicoll (one of the Museum founders) donated a splendid example of a Victorian doll's house which dates from c1840. It gives an insight into how people lived around 160 years ago. It has all its original wallpaper and paintwork, contemporary furniture and hand worked fine wool petit point carpets. The rosewood furniture was imported from Walterhousen in Germany about 1830. The cast tin plate pieces were made by Evans & Cartwright in Wolverhampton who made toys between 1820 and 1850. The piano really plays a tune as it has a musical box inside. The oldest doll c 1830 - is a Grodnertal type with wooden body and is in its original clothes.
Four display cases show items from conflicts from the past two centuries up to the present day.